Answered By: Research Help Desk
Last Updated: Jun 04, 2019     Views: 14

In Canada, yes. SMU participates in the Canadian Universities' Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement (CURBA), through its membership in the Council of Atlantic University Libraries (CAUL). As a SMU student, staff or faculty member, you can register for a CAUL card at the Circulation desk. You must get this card at SMU before you go as universities can only issue cards to their own students/faculty.

The CAUL card allows you to borrow material in person at any participating CAUL or CURBA library. Within Nova Scotia, use your SMU card at any Novanet library. ‚Äč

  • Loan periods, fines, etc. are determined by the lending library.
  • You can return items from CAUL libraries at any participating CAUL library. Example: you can bring books back from UNB and return them at SMU.
  • Items from outside of CAUL must be returned to the lending library*. Example: you can bring books back from McGill University, but you are responsible for returning the items to that that library.
  • Access to e-resources may vary by institution, but most will provide access via guest computers.
  • Sign up for eduroam before you go to access wireless networks at participating institutions.

*This condition does not apply to items we get for you through Document Delivery. It only applies to items you bring back from the lending library.